Never Again!

The cemetery monument at Manzanar National Historic Site.
(click above to view larger image)
Photo: Gann Matsuda/Manzanar Committee

February 19, 2017 marks the 75th anniversary of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s signing of Executive Order 9066, authorizing the unjust incarceration of over 110,000 Japanese Americans in ten American concentration camps, and other confinement sites, during World War II, one of the worst violations of civil rights in our nation’s history, and most certainly, one of its darkest chapters.

Everyone must learn about the incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II. This is the only way that we can prevent such a grave injustice from ever happening to anyone ever again.

Never again!

On this important anniversary, we urge you to share this on social media, and anywhere else you deem appropriate.

The views expressed in this story are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the Manzanar Committee.

Creative Commons License The Manzanar Committee’s Official Blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Manzanar Committee Official Blog – Licensing and Copyright Information.

Manzanar Committee Comment Policies

8 Responses to Never Again!

1. Carolyn Kernkamp says:

I didn’t learn about the Internment Camps in school growing up, but in My children, growing up in Berkeley, with an amazing 4th grade teacher, Carole Chin , did. She was a woman on a crusade and was instrumental in opening many young eyes. Many years later we visited Heart Mountain in Eyiming. Today we are seeing a movie of George Takei’s play “Alegiance”. Here is my point. This cannot ever, ever be allowed to happen again. Never. Thank you for the work you do.

2. John Hodgson says:

2 comments:
    1. If the above is only the view of the author and not the entire committee, those who disagree should resign!
    2. As a young boy, in the 1950’s my father, uncle, and cousin would travel from Southern California to the Sierra Nevada via Hwy 395 for annual fishing trips. We passed Manzanar. I asked what it was, because at that time the fruit trees still produced, and we stopped and picked apples! My uncle said to me that one of the most horrific attacks on our democracy and our people happened there, and if I was in interested that I should go to the library and read about it,and report to him what I had learned. I did just that. He was absolutely correct.
    I have now become a volunteer at Manzanar, and for the 2nd year will be attending the public Archaeology project under the direction of Jeff Burton.
    To experience Manzanar, is to somewhat understand the daily life of those incarcerated. Working under some of the same atmospheric conditions, but remembering, that at the end of the day, we were and are free to leave, unlike those who had everything taken from them, and we escorted to this isolated region of California, boxed in by 14,000 ft. mountains, east and west. Not knowing if or when they would ever be free again. It is imperative that at this time in our history, we make all of America aware of what happened at Manzanar, and the other internment camps scattered around this country. 110,000 Japanese Americans, their constitutional right taken from them, by an executive order. The same type of order that the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is using on a daily basis in this country. We can never, ever let this happen in our country again. Come join me March 24-29, at Manzanar for an experience you will never forget.

3. Steve Kline says:

How was this unjust? We were attacked by Japan and that in turn made all Japanese people suspects. Sure it was unfortunate but it was necessary to provide safety and security to the entire country.Hindsight always shows that they could have been provided more comfortable living arrangements and other things but it’s all history now and we learned from it. “Never Again” how can you possibly believe that? Especially in this day and age with the threat of radical Muslim terrorism. I would even consider using that as a temporary housing for large groups of protesters.

• Gann Matsuda says:

You’ve got a lot to learn about our history and our Constitution.

• John Hodgson says:

These were American citizens. What part of American citizen don’t you understand. We learned from it. The moron who is now in the White House wants to do exactly the same thing. I’m sure that you are in favor of that. As I have said many, many times in my over 70 years of living, I can tolerate ignorance, but there is no talking to stupidity. By the way, like your president, apparently you don’t believe in the first amendment. I’m glad you have FOX news to keep you informed.

4. Don Nichols says:

Unjust in retrospect, but certainly NOT in 1942, after the attack on Pearl Harbor! You cannot possibly put your mind in the same place as Americans in that era. Not even close!

• Gann Matsuda says:

The fact that the US Government knew of the loyalty of Japanese Americans long before Pearl Harbor was attacked but chose to fan the flames of hysteria anyway and incarcerated them even with that knowledge proves that those who believe that also need to learn about this history.

Please post your comment on this story below

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s